Re: Microdata: The Itemref element

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 10:35:44 +0200
To: "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>, "Nicholas Stimpson" <nicholas.stimpson@ntlworld.com>
Cc: public-html@w3.org
On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 23:59:01 +0200, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Oct 2009, Nicholas Stimpson wrote:
>> Instead, would it be possible for the element with the "itemscope"
>> attribute to have an itemref attribute that was a space separated list
>> of ids?
>
> It'd certainly be possible, but I'm not sure it's desireable, given how
> easy it is to work around.

FWIW, that design sounds much nicer to me than having an <itemref> element
somewhere as a descendant do the trick. It is more clear what the
relationship is, does not have legacy parser issues, is easier to
implement using scripting, and more consistent with other such structures
(usemap, for).

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/