Re: Microdata: The Itemref element

On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 2:18 PM, Nicholas Stimpson
<nicholas.stimpson@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Or if that's not possible, could an existing empty element be overloaded to
> replace itemref? Both "link" and "param" seem to check out in the live DOM
> viewer as possibles, providing that one encountering them the parser has
> already reached the parsing-the-body mode. Link is already being overloaded
> for the itemprop attribute so extending that with an itemref attribute
> doesn't seem a huge leap. e.g. instead of
>
> <itemref refid="x">
>
> have
>
> <link itemref="x">

This seems promising.  New void elements are *always* going to be a
problem forever in HTML (one of the things XHTML got right, I think),
since there's no way to differentiate them from new non-void elements.
 We can at least avoid it here while maintaining some consistency.

~TJ