HTML5 object@width %-unit

From: Alexandre Alapetite <alexandre@alapetite.fr>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 13:31:52 +0200
To: public-html@w3.org
In the current HTML5 draft, the object element has a @width attribute
that accepts a value expressed in CSS pixels ("the attributes, if
specified, must have values that are valid non-negative integers"):

However, I have noticed that on almost all browsers I could test, the
object @width attribute also accepts a value given in a %-unit. For

	<object type="text/html" data="http://example.net/" width="50%" height="150">

I have tested the above code successfully in the following browsers:

- Windows Vista: Opera 10.0; Firefox 3.5.3; Chrome 4.0; Internet
Explorer 8 (32-bit and 64-bit);
- Windows XP: Opera 9.02; Firefox; Chrome 3.0; Internet
Explorer 5.5, 6, 7; Safari 3.2.3;

However, it does not seem to be understood by Netscape 6.2.

I think it is noticeable that nearly all current browsers accept a
%-value in the @width attribute of an object, while this is not
accepted by HTML5:

I do not say that this is a bug in the HTML5 draft, or in browsers
implementation; it was just to catch your attention on this possible

Best regards,