RE: Locale/default encoding table

I'm still pretty sure that a table is not the right solution here.

The text the I18N WG proposed allows the current behavior, which is all that is necessary on a normative level. It uses examples instead of normative language. I'm completely mystified as to why Ian won't discuss that text directly.

My concern with providing a table is that it preserves, essentially forever, the behavior of browsers in the past. Character encoding distribution is and historically has been evolving. As recently as eight years ago, most browsers did not support proper display of UTF-8. Today, the most common encoding on the Web *is* UTF-8. The localization choices of current vendors--whether well- or ill-conceived--should not necessarily be *normative* guidance embedded in the HTML5 spec for future generations of browser vendors.

I think that having a table like this is useful information. But it should be "backwards pointing" and separate from HTML. I'd point out: the I18N WG hosts any number of pages documenting information such as this about browsers. I think we'd be very happy to add this to the collection. It could even be referenced from HTML5. Just don't make it part of the spec... because I know many developers who follow exactly what the spec says. And this is *not* appropriate in this case because the encoding environment is still evolving and because many locales have been disadvantaged in the past.

Addison

Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Lab126

Internationalization is not a feature.