Re: HTML5 Issue 11 (encoding detection): I18N WG response...

Ian Hickson On 09-10-13 12.44:

> On Mon, 12 Oct 2009, Henri Sivonen wrote:
>> Query of interest:
>> http://mxr.mozilla.org/l10n-mozilla1.9.1/find?string=global%2Fintl.properties&tree=l10n-mozilla1.9.1&hint=
>
> I've used this to create a table to replace the contentious paragraph.

Andrew Cunningham On 09-10-12 14.56:

>> > A list of only of non-Windows-1252 defaults sounds as a "table of
>> > the exceptions". Such a list should rather try to document all
>> > legacy encoding locale defaults there are - or could be. It
>> > probably should be defined by another spec, or a Wiki page.
>
> should be a short list relatively speaking.
>
> a longer list would be a list of all languages that web browsers currently
> only support using utf-8.

Ian's table [1] right now says that "all other locales" should
default to Windows 1252. That would include localizations for
those languages you have in mind here also.

[1]
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/parsing.html#determining-the-character-encoding
--
leif halvard silli