Re: HTML5 Issue 11 (encoding detection): I18N WG response...

Andrew Cunningham On 09-10-12 16.12:

> Thanks Henri, greatly appreciated. Useful data.
>
> Will be interesting to see what the trend will be in the future as the
> localisation effort builds up steam.

So Ian's table [1] is just a snapshot? And thus "re-engineering"
is still needed?

[1]
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/parsing.html#determining-the-character-encoding

> although begs the question as to what happens with legacy encoded data in
> those languages, and with Vietnamese i'm still seeing bloggers using VNI,
> so still some content being produced in that encoding even today.
>
> not surprised with russian, japanese and ukranian, since legacy data may
> be in a few differnet encodings so heuristics makes sense.

Belarusian has (according to Ian's table and Mozilla) another
default (ISO-8859-5)  than Ukrainian and Russian (Win-1251). Can
that be correct/optimal? I think not.

E.g. the Belarusian Departement of Forreign Affairs -
http://www.mfa.gov.by/ - is in Russian and uses Windows 1251.
Other pages in Belarusian pages that I found also used Windows
1251. I found not a single page with iso-8859-5. Belarusian
language and people interacts with Russian(s) and Ukrainian(s), so
I think that it is more likely that the default should be windows
1251.

And why doesn't Mozilla use charset heuristics for the Belarusian?
(Because people use Russian localizations anyhow?) It is a wonder
that this can work, if Mozilla operates with the wrong default
charset!

Also interesting that all the slavic languages of Yugoslavia
defaults to UTF-8. But logical in their bi-alphabetic situation.

That said, according to Wikipedia, the preferred encoding for
Croatian is ISO 8859-2 or utf-8. [2]. And after a single google
search, I found a page, which is *labeleled* as ISO-8859-1, but
which *requires* ISO-8859-2. [3] However, I am "pro UTF-8", so it
is OK for me to recommend UTF-8.

[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaj's_Latin_alphabet#Computing
[3] http://www.ifs.hr/

> also not surprised by the indian localisations, had to be either utf-8 or
> win-1252. and guess win-1252 is a logical choice since firefox doesn't
> really support legacy encodings for Indian languages, and good percentage
> of legacy content in indian languages is misidentifying itself as
> iso-8859-1 or windows-1252 and relying on styling.

Styling? You mean, the good old "font tag considered harmful"
effect? Is that even possible to get to work any more? I know that
Hebrew on the Web used to apply similar tricks - I think they used
  "the default latin encoding" and then "turned the text". But
still, win-1252 isn't the default encoding of Hebrew?!

Do you have example pages for wrong Indian language pages?

--
leif halvard silli