Re: ISSUE-55: Re-enable @profile in HTML5 (draft 1)

On Oct 12, 2009, at 10:51, Julian Reschke wrote:

> Henri Sivonen wrote:
>> By not using the same syntax for incompatible features. When you
>> design an extension feature, Google for your tentative syntax first
>> to see if others have used it already.
>
> I do not see how that scales.

Alternatively, a would-be extender of the language could send email to
public-html or the whatwg list announcing the intent to occupy a piece
of syntax and allow for both peer review of the design and for
potential existing users of the syntax to speak up.

This doesn't need to scale to a huge number of extensions: Having a
huge number of extensions would be bad for interop, and we shouldn't
be designing for language extension dynamics that would harm
interoperability.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi