Re: HTML5 Issue 11 (encoding detection): I18N WG response...

I'm a little late to this discussion, so please forgive me if I'm covering
ground people have already discussed.

But focusing on advice to developers, I'd suggest replacing 6 and 7 in
http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#determining-the-character-encoding,
by the following 3 numbered items.

   - Test if the bytes are valid UTF-8. If they are, return return that
   encoding, with the
confidence<http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#concept-encoding-confidence>
   *tentative*, and abort these steps.
      - *[include note about UTF-8 patterns, maybe reworded a bit.]*
   - The user agent may attempt to autodetect the character encoding *[include
   rest of #5]*
   - Otherwise, return an implementation-defined or user-specified default
   character encoding, with the
confidence<http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#concept-encoding-confidence>
   *tentative*. Due to its widespread use as a default in legacy content,
   windows-1252 is recommended as a default in the absences of other
   information.

Mark