Re: HTML Working Group Decision Policy - for discussion

From: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 06:42:55 -0400
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
CC: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

[[ snipping areas of clear agreement ]]

>>> Previously, Sam stated a requirement of at least three independent
>>> contributors (where contribution can include such things as direct
>>> editing, making an implementation, commenting on the draft, etc),
>>> though this has been applied in a rather informal way. It seems to me
>>> that HTML+RDFa has met this standard through the number of people who
>>> gave concrete technical feedback that resulted in changes to the
>>> draft (even if many of those people would not consider themselves
>>> supporters).
>>> I'll ask my fellow co-chairs about whether we'd like to formalize and
>>> document this policy.
>>
>> Whether or not we formalize that rule, I would prefer that we NOT
>> publish something as a product of this Working Group that essentially
>> is an individual effort.  That's what Member Submissions are for.
>
> I agree with that position. Do you think it's worth formalizing the
> rule? I can do the writing if so. We can ask that anyone proposing a new
> document for FPWD should mention at least three independent contributors
> (possibly including themselves).

Yes: in areas involving a bar imposed on contributions, the expectation
should be clear.  (The snipped portions above include a number of areas
that don't need to be documented as they don't involve bars imposed on
contributions, and I agree that they don't need to be captured in the
document).

> Regards,
> Maciej

- Sam Ruby