Re: HTML Working Group Decision Policy - for discussion

From: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 05:05:02 -0400
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
CC: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

>> In any case, it seems to me that Change Proposals should come with a
>> copyright waiver, assignment or license that makes the Change Proposal
>> (if incorporated to a draft) not add restrictions to either how the
>> WHATWG licenses spec or how the W3C licenses specs.
>
> We did not think of that. The W3C Process document does not seem to
> cover copyright assignment or waiver. I am hoping someone from the W3C
> Team can advise on what is appropriate here.

A simple statement that the text needs to be something that we can
include under whatever license we come up for the deliverables we
produce will suffice.

My hope remains that we settle on MIT.  If the W3C and WHATWG can't come
to an agreement on a license, then we will need to revisit this -- but
then again, we will need to revisit a lot of assumptions, so I would
recommend that we cross that bridge when we get to it.

- Sam Ruby