Re: HTML Working Group Decision Policy - for discussion

On Oct 7, 2009, at 6:58 AM, Shelley Powers wrote:

>> > This will give the person the impression that there is no open
>> items
>> > on this issue at this time. They wouldn't necessarily think to
>> look in
>> > the Issue Tracker, either.
>>
>> Since the policy clearly mentions the Tracker's use, anybody
>> following
>> the policy should be aware of the Tracker.  (And anybody not
>> following
>> the policy can't be catered for by what the policy says ...)
>>

> That's not the appropriate way to deal with concerns.
>
> This procedure should be a way to facilitate concerns, not test
> whether someone is familiar with how the HTML WG operates.

When we issue our Last Call, we will make it very clear what the
process is and do our best to set the right expectations.

>> > The escalational process for determining how to manage the issue
>> does
>> > not reflect the most likely fact that the bugs/issues during Last
>> Call
>> > will come from outside of the group. If the call for volunteers
>> only
>> > occurs during the WG teleconference, which I'm having to assume
>> > happens, because this is not mentioned in the document,
>>
>> The working group is chartered for asynchronous participation.  All
>> announcements and calls so far have been by e-mail.  Why do you think
>> that would suddenly change?
>>

> Actually, this hasn't always happened.
>
> For instance, the new dt/dd issue was mentioned, from what I can
> tell in HTML WG teleconference meeting minutes, in the last
> teleconference, but I haven't a clue if the chair asked for
> volunteers, or what happened with it.
>
> So far, the chairs have not formally sent an email to the HTML WG,
> or to me, the person who raised the issue, asking for volunteers to
> address the issue.

We have not yet issued any calls for volunteers for any issue - that's
a new process that we hope to start using soon. I assure you that
we'll do it in a way that allows  asynchronous participation, likely
by email.

> In addition, there's nothing in the procedure about soliciting for
> volunteers outside of the group. For instance, if an issue is raised
> by a person outside of the HTML WG it would seem to me to be
> appropriate to allow the person who raised the issue to submit a
> proposal. But I'm still trying to figure out what happened to the
> one dt/dd issue from the last meeting minutes, and if I should do
> _something_ to ensure it doesn't just die.

We just discussed the issue briefly - there was no call for
volunteers. When there is, you will know it. There is no requirement
that Change Proposals have to be written by a member of the Working
Group. Anyone can volunteer to write one, or just write one and
present it without volunteering first, at any time. You can volunteer
to write a Change Proposal now if you'd like.

Regards,
Maciej