Re: HTML Working Group Decision Policy - for discussion

On Wed, 2009-10-07 at 13:22 -0400, Sam Ruby wrote:
> > How does one register a Formal Objection to the HTML WG? Do we send an
> > email to the HTML WG list, with the Issue in the subject line? Do we use
> > the words "Formal Objection" in the subject line, too?
>
> Formal Objections are to be addressed to the Director.  It generally is
> a good idea to cite the WG decision that you are objecting to (note: in
> this context, it is not an editor's decision, but a WG decision.
> Raising an Issue is a good way to get a WG decision, and we are trying
> to make reporting a bug a pre-req for creating an issue).

Actually, Formal Objections are to be sent to the Working Group. The
Group records them and report them to the Director during the
transitions. The Director shouldn't be addressed directly when doing a
formal objection since he isn't supposed to keep track of them by
himself. As mention in the process, "An individual who registers a
Formal Objection SHOULD cite technical arguments and propose changes
that would remove the Formal Objection; these proposals MAY be vague or
incomplete. Formal Objections that do not provide substantive arguments
or rationale are unlikely to receive serious consideration by the
Director.".

It is the role of the Working Group to maintain a record of each Formal
Objection and this record must be public.

Philippe