Re: HTML Working Group Decision Policy - for discussion

On Oct 7, 2009, at 4:28 AM, Laura Carlson wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Thanks to the HTML WG Chairs [1] for drafting a HTML Working Group
> Decision Policy [2]. A procedure document such as this had been
> lacking for some time [3]. So your work is much appreciated.
>
> One thing that doesn't seem to be addressed is how comments from the
> HTML Public Comments list [4] will be handled.

Comments like that need to make it into bugzilla - either through the
efforts of the commenter, or by getting help from a volunteer. Sam and
I are both willing to help with bug filing if needed.

> The Spec says:
> "If you wish to make comments regarding this document, please send
> them to public-html-comments@w3.org (subscribe, archives) or
> whatwg@whatwg.org (subscribe, archives), or submit them using our
> public bug database." [5]

Assuming there aren't changes to the policy based on feedback from the
WG, we'll recommend changing these instructions in the spec.

> How will public comments fit into this process? For instance the User
> Agent Accessibility Guidelines Working Group sent in a substantial
> list of issues yesterday [6].

I've seen their comments. If feedback on the Decision Policy does not
introduce major changes, my plan is as follows:

1) Recommend that the UAAG WG file their issues in bugzilla, one per
bug.
2) Offer to do this for them if necessary.

I've been holding off on making this request for now for now, because
the policy was so close to being ready that it seemed better to wait a
little, and cite the policy. We have experienced some cases of
confusion when trying to act on parts of the policy before it was
publicly documented, and I did not want to cause additional confusion.

That being said, if the UAAG WG would like to file bugs now, without
waiting until the policy is 100% solid, then that would be appreciated
and helpful. The suggested info to include in a bugzilla bug is
described in the Decision Policy draft.[1]

Regards,
Maciej

[1] http://dev.w3.org/html5/decision-policy/decision-policy.html#bugzilla-bug