Re: ACTION-103 Follow up on the about: scheme Registration

From: Joseph A Holsten <joseph@josephholsten.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 10:27:45 -0500
Cc: public-html <public-html@w3.org>, URI <uri@w3.org>, uri-review@ietf.org
To: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
The suggested text sounds fine, but I'm not sure I understand the
expected behavior of reserved but unresolvable "about" URIs.

On Sep 18, 2009, at 8:12 AM, Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> The revised text I've suggested for section 5 is as follows: [...]
> 5.1 Reserved "about" URIs [...]
>   Other specifications MAY reserve additional "about" URIs.
>   Applications attempting to resolve reserved "about" URIs that are
>   not defined to be resolvable, MAY treat such URIs as being
>   unreserved.

Doesn't this defeat the purpose of reserving an unresolvable about
URI? If applications can treat unresolvable "about" URIs (such as
about:legacy-compat) as unreserved, what exactly is being reserved for
them?
--
Joseph Holsten
http://josephholsten.com