Re: ISSUE-41/ACTION-97 decentralized-extensibility

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 13:43:50 +0200
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
CC: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, Tony Ross <tross@microsoft.com>, Brendan Eich <brendan@mozilla.org>
Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> So far from the replies of others I see:
> - No one has stated they can't live with HTML5's current parsing for
> elements and attributes with colons in the name (or provided rationale
> for feeling that way).
> - No one has shown evidence for why the compatibility risk of
> Microsoft's proposal is low (other than the invalid argument in the
> proposal itself).
> - No one has made any new proposals that address the compatibility
> concerns but still provide some kind of benefit.

I'm not going to make one of these statements, because I don't have
sufficient information.

What I can say is that I think that it's totally not clear that changes
to the current spec are impossible. Furthermore, I believe that any kind
of change that aligns the text/html and the application/xml syntax more
closely would be a win.

> Thus, at this point, I'm not seeing a real dispute. For there to be a real dispute, I think one of the types of replies I mentioned above would have to happen. Is anyone willing to do that? If not, I will tend to assume that we do in fact have consensus.

There may be rough consensus, but it certainly doesn't include me. Also,
I assume it doesn't include Microsoft, otherwise they wouldn't have made
a proposal for a change.

BR, Julian