Re: ISSUE-41/ACTION-97 decentralized-extensibility

On Oct 3, 2009, at 6:27 AM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>> On Oct 3, 2009, at 5:28 AM, Sam Ruby wrote:
>>> Statements that I feel people can all agree to:
>>>
>>> 1) People (as in users and customers) have, do, and will continue
>>> to use "xmlns:" syntax in HTML, and have, do, and will continue to
>>> build tools that solve their perceived use cases based on this
>>> syntax.
>> What's our goal for what we're calling  "Decentralized
>> extensibility"? Is it to provide *any* form of extensibility that
>> doesn't require centralized coordination? Or is it to provide a
>> syntax that uses prefixes, colons as a separator, indirect prefix
>> binding, URIs as namespace identifiers, and xmlns attributes to
>> declare prefixes?
>> I get the sense that, for many people, only a solution that looks
>> like Namespaces in XML will satisfy.
>> If that is indeed the case, should we rename this issue from
>> "Decentralized extensibility" to "XML-style namespace syntax"?
>
> At the present time, I don't care what the issue is called, but I
> don't see consensus on what the values of localName, prefix,
> namespaceURI (and possibly tagUrn) should return, and that's what I
> would like to see resolved.

Do you think we can come to consensus on those questions without
having consensus on the bigger picture (i.e. should XML-like
namespaces be supported at all?) I would guess nearly everyone's
answers to those questions will be determined by their opinions about
XML-like namespaces.

Regards,
Maciej