Re: Consider removing the MathML entities from text/html

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 17:19:37 +0300
Cc: public-html@w3.org
To: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
On Oct 2, 2009, at 16:29, David Carlisle wrote:

>>   * Having 2000+ entities instead of 200+ entities doesn't seem too
>> nice
>>     for implementors.
> There is obviously a cost and I can't speak about browser
> implementations but I'd have thought that overall it's better for
> users
> to have them always there, built in

It's probably better for authors to just have them there. However, the
list is indeed long enough that using na´ve algorithms and data
structures (implemented to avoid "premature optimization") actually
does cause a measurable slow-down. I have no reason to expect a
performance problem in the case of non-na´ve data structures and
algorithms, though.

Henri Sivonen