RE: ISSUE-41/ACTION-97 decentralized-extensibility

From: Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 18:05:29 +0000
To: Philip Taylor <pjt47@cam.ac.uk>
CC: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, Tony Ross <tross@microsoft.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
On Wednesday, September 30, 2009 4:30 PM, Philip Taylor wrote:
> Looking at just the base proposal for now:
>
> > HTML Markup:
> >      <my:calendar xmlns:my="com.mycompany">
> >
> > DOM:
> >      Element {
> >           localName    = "calendar",
> >           nodeName     = "my:calendar",
> >           prefix       = "my",
> >           namespaceURI = "com.mycompany"
> >      }

> The proposal therefore seems to be completely different to every current
> text/html browser, as far as the DOM goes. Am I missing something here?

Currently, IE doesn't support the DOM APIs related to namespaces. Currently the other browsers support these APIs but don't have a mapping to the HTML serialisation (and don't process the xmlns in the way IE does). This proposal aims to bring the two together. It's true that we're not aware of a current implementation that does both.

Regards,

Adrian.