RE: HTML CHANGE PROPOSAL; change definition of URL to normative reference to IRIBIS

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 14:16:52 -0800
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Regarding ISSUE-56, and applying the results of ACTION-137 (pending review):

> Providing specific details for the requested change is a required part of a Change Proposal, as stated here:

> <http://dev.w3.org/html5/decision-policy/decision-policy.html#change-proposal

The process does include "With prior permission from the chairs, a high-level prose description of the changes to be made."

Lacking this prior permission (which the previous change proposal had unfortunately assumed), I'll offer a more concrete proposed rewrite (attached).  However, I think additional, more extensive editorial work would be helpful. For example, using the term "HREF" instead of "URL" in any normative text of the HTML5 specification would avoid some of the circumlocutions in the definitions, but would be a much more extensive editorial task than the edits to 2.5.1 that I limited myself to in this change proposal.

In addition, adjusting the documents from HTML5 and the IRI work in IETF may require maintaining alignment of two different documents, and if there are any further changes to the [draft-duerst-iri-bis] document (based on rough consensus of the IRI working group which I presume would including contributors from this community), then coordination of the text in HTML5 and text in the IRI document will be necessary.

Larry

--

http://larry.masinter.net