Re: @caption vs <caption type="figure">

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 3:18 PM, Leif Halvard Silli
> On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 09:18:10 -0600, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>
>> There's nothing stopping us from making attributes affect the
>> semantics of an element.  In fact, we do so right now, with <time
>> pubdate>.  That is also my preferred solution to the <figure> issue -
>> I'd like to see a @caption attribute that can be added to any child of
>> <figure>.
>
> If there is nothing stopping us, then why didn't you instead propose an
> attribute for the <caption> element that could permit it to be used
> also outside <table>?

Because that won't do anything to solve the problem.  We're not
prevented from reusing <caption> because of semantics, we're prevented
from reusing it because most/all current and past implementations
treat <caption> outside of <table> in such a way that it's completely
unusable for <figure>.  Putting an attribute on it won't change this.

~TJ