Re: XML namespaces on the Web

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 1:47 PM, John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org> wrote:
> The XML spec doesn't constrain software that makes no claim of conformance
> to it, so that objection is merely technical.

The same can be said for any standard.  Everyone could just ignore all
standards and make up whatever behavior they feel like.  Surely we
don't need to review the reasons this is a bad idea?  Browsers don't
perform error recovery for XML because there's no standard way to do
so -- if you do any kind of error recovery, you've immediately lost
interoperability with all other browsers, and risk bringing about the
same kind of mess we have with HTML.  The idea is therefore to create
a *standard* way of recovering from well-formedness errors, which
means interoperability won't be reduced much in the long term.  XML5
is such a proposal.