Re: XML namespaces on the Web

2009/11/16 Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>:
> Please remember that optional features decrease interop.

A situation in which the mandatory features are so unacceptable to
some parties that various tool creators make up their own parsing
rules decreases interop even more.  We've observed this with HTML --
including XHTML -- and also with RSS.  Even assuming the problem
really is only web-specific (I can't see why it would be), standard
error handling in some form of XML should at least benefit
interoperability on the web.

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Leif Halvard Silli
> I don't know if it would be a recommendable thing to do, but if text/HTML
> supported namespaces, then, by setting the ATOM namespace, one should be
> able to serve ATOM feeds as text/HTML.

Support for namespaces seems orthogonal to support for serving Atom as
text/html.  But in any event, text/html makes a very poor XML5
candidate, because it's vastly more complicated than necessary for
error correction in general: it's burdened by very HTML-specific
legacy requirements.  A much simpler error-correction algorithm that's
still suitable for general use would be a better idea for formats like
RSS or XHTML.