Re: ISSUE-55: Re-enable @profile in HTML5 (draft 2)

It solves the problem of head/@profile being removed in HTML5.

I agree that getting head/@profile back in would resolve that issue.

>> 1. For spec authors that would like to define extended processing
>> behavior, there is currently no mechanism to do so provided in HTML5.
>
> What's the point of introducing rel=profile instead of reusing @profile
> from HTML 4.01?
>
>> 2. There are a number of communities that have taken issue with @profile
>> being made obsolete, not because they have nothing better to do, but
>> because it affects them and has repercussions on their work. If HTML5
>> got rid of @profile and nobody complained, that would help to prove that
>> it is a useless feature - however, that has not happened.
>
> So why are you introducing rel=profile and still obsoleting @profile
> instead of writing a Change Proposal to introduce @profile as non-obsolete?

...and conforming.

It would be conforming so it can be used while specs that use it can be
upgraded. It would be obsolete because link/@rel=profile could replace
it in the mid-term.

As a related thought: if we come to the conclusion that the
functionality is useful, and should be extended to allow scoping, that
*still* could be done using @profile (for instance, by allowing it on
block-level elements as well).

BR, Julian