Re: ARIA roles added to the a element should be conforming in HTML5.

Yes, you are right, in HTML 4, an anchor element can only be
placed WITHIN the H1 element. (Stefan was wrong about this, even
if he is right that it works technically.) But according to the
HTML 5 draft (and I believe according to HTML 3.2 as well), you
can wrap the anchor element AROUND the H1 element, effectively
making the heading a link (or button).

Leif

Phil Spencer On 09-11-11 18.39: