Re: ARIA roles added to the a element should be conforming in HTML5.

On 2009-11-10 Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com> wrote:

[snip]
>By the same token, we have reason to believe that authors will *not*
>fix markup which is semantically dodgy, but looks right. Where
>possible, however, they will patch it invisibly. (Have a look at the
>various discussions of how to conform to WCAG for examples of this - I
>don't have numbers, because they are *very* labour-intensive to
>generate. You have to take my word that I am not making this up for
>fun, or we need to figure out how to get the research done).

+1

This is exactly the kind of thing that happens in the "real world".

Website gets an accessibility audit (formal or otherwise). Is
found wanting. Pressure is on the developer in charge of
remediation to fix it as quickly and cheaply as is possible.
Changing markup will require another round of browser rendering
testing, but if something invisible could be applied that
doesn't affect rendering...

What do you think the developer under time and budget pressure
will choose?

Regards,

-Steve

--