Re: ARIA roles added to the a element should be conforming in HTML5.

Leif Halvard Silli writes:

> Smylers On 09-11-09 21.11:
>
> > Lars Gunther writes:
> >
> > > <a role="button"> should be forbidden when hard-coded onto the
> > > page for  these reasons:
> > >
> > > 2. It is possibly confusing if JavaScript is turned off, since it
> > > will not act as a button in that case.
> >
> > What if it has CSS which makes it look like a button (even without
> > JavaScript)?
>
> First I thought: Stupid question. How it looks should not matter.

How it looks matters for this scenario, pointed out by Stefan Schnabel,
where instructions say "press the button".  Even if that button is
merely a restyle link, and all it's doing is making a navigation
request, users will be consider it be a button:

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Oct/0699.html

Smylers
--
http://twitter.com/Smylers2