Re: Automatic XML namespaces

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 8:25 AM, Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com> wrote:
> As far as I can tell, "decentralized extensibility" just means support
> for nonstandard extensions.  Nonstandard extensions supported by
> browsers, or even made up by browsers in the first case (like
> <canvas>), fall under decentralized extensibility.  Conversely,
> centralized extensions to HTML could conceivably be unsupported by
> browsers.  I'm not sure how you can interpret "decentralized" to mean
> "unsupported by browsers".

Shoving private data into a page is both decentralized and doesn't
require any explicit browser support (beyond just a promise not to
mangle the private data).  We've mostly gotten that taken care of
between data-* and Microdata, though (there's been some chatter that
these two don't cover *quite* enough yet, at least not conveniently,
but any further work to embed private data will be minimal at best, I
believe).

However, this is clearly a different case from extensions that *are*
expected to be acted on, like the omniexample of a <calendar> tag.
Then browser support is of course a requirement.

~TJ