Re: the MathML comments

On Nov 9, 2009, at 07:02, Simon Pieters wrote:

> On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 03:20:30 +0100, Maciej Stachowiak
> <mjs@apple.com> wrote:
>
>> 3) It's also possible to have a call for consensus on cross-WG
>> comments. But I agree with Sam that it's more considerate to send
>> collected comments from individuals, because then the receiving WG
>> knows who to talk to if they disagree. Indeed, I'd suggest that
>> future cross-WG comments should name the individuals who provided
>> them.
>
> Maybe the individuals can send their feedback to the relevant WG
> directly (unless the relevant WG explicitly prefer one batch email
> with feedback)?
>
> http://www.w3.org/mid/op.u20tqopiidj3kv@simon-pieterss-macbook.local

I concur with Simon's comments--both the technical comments and the
procedural comments.

(I didn't volunteer to review the MathML 3 spec, because I didn't want
to make promises I wasn't sure I could keep. However, in my reading so
far, I've only made notes that were duplicates of Simon's comments.)

What's the point of sending feedback as a Working Group? When the HTML
WG gets a request for comments, wouldn't it be better if the chairs
responded that the WG doesn't send feedback as a group but encourages
participants to send their comments to the requester in their own name?

If the requester of comments cares about the provenance of the
comments instead of caring only about the content of the comments, it
seems to me that "HTML WG" is a useless provenance label. It seems to
me it would be more useful to know if the comment comes from a person
working on code relevant to the comment (as developer or QA), a person
working on a UA but not on part relevant to the comment, a Web author
already using a previous iteration of the spec being commented on or
someone else.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi