Re: request agenda time to present X3D summary at HTML5 TPAC meeting

Johannes Behr wrote:
> [...]
> (Side note about inlining 3D data: since 3D models can be easily giga-
> bytes in size, we need, especially with inline graphics, a way to
> reference and include externel resources and data. The X3D standard
> already includes a solution with the "Inline Node". However, this is
> open for discussion and maybe a more generic HTML-like solution is
> more adequate)

Related note: X3D does have a Compressed Binary Encoding but we think
that it can be improved further.  This is why we have actively
contributed throughout the long-running efforts of the W3C's
Efficient XML Interchange (EXI) working group.  EXI continued
to make good progress this week and appears ready for the next
milestone.

	http://www.w3.org/XML/EXI       (public)
	http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/EXI (W3C members)

	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/specifications
http://www.web3d.org/x3d/specifications/ISO-IEC-19776-3-X3DEncodings-CompressedBinary/Part03/X3D_Binary.html

Evolving compressed X3D to take advantage of EXI's superior compression
and performance will be an additional way to make X3D work well
within the XML family of technologies.  Hopefully using EXI with X3D will
someday provide further deployment and authoring benefits when integrating
X3D scenes with HTML5.

all the best, Don
--
Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br           brutzman@nps.edu
Watkins 270   MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA  work +1.831.656.2149