Re: ISSUE-55: Re-enable @profile in HTML5 (draft 2)

Henri Sivonen On 09-11-04 09.34:

> On Nov 4, 2009, at 06:18, Manu Sporny wrote:
>
>> http://html5.digitalbazaar.com/specs/html5-epb.html

  [...]

>> - Defining the new replacement mechanism for @profile as rel="profile"
>
> What problem does this solve?

In short, I think it most of all is the result of an attempt to
solve a conflict with Ian ...

Even if it strictly speaking is a separate issue, I also think
that @rel=profile intendeds to solve/clarify the "can there be
more than one profile uri" unclarity of HTML 4. (The "significant
profile" issue of HTML 4: "even though this specification only
considers the first URI to be significant")

> The reasons against @profile have been that the concept is flawed and
> that even if the concept weren't flawed, having to make profiles apply
> to the whole page is a flaw. How does recasting @profile into a <link>-
> only rel value solve address either conceptual flaws or the
> limitations in being able to scope profiles to only a part of the HTML
> document?

Good points.

> The reasons in favor of @profile have been that GRDDL (etc.) uses it
> already. How does introducing a syntactic transformation that isn't
> recognized by pre-existing GRDDL (etc.) tools help GRDDL (etc.)?

Also: it has repeatedly been raised some conceptual points by some
in the GRDDL/RDFA league in favor of <head profile="">, namely
that the profile should be defined *before* the content of the web
page is handled by the tool/parser/ua/etc. That objection is, in
fact, related to the "significant profile issue".
--
leif halvard silli