Re: ISSUE-55: Re-enable @profile in HTML5 (draft 2)

On Nov 4, 2009, at 16:25, Julian Reschke wrote:

> Henri Sivonen wrote:
>>> - Defining the new replacement mechanism for @profile as
>>> rel="profile"
>>
>> What problem does this solve?
>
> It solves the same problem that head/@profile solves;

What's the point of introducing new syntax if it solves the same
problem as the old syntax?

> it's an indicator that a certain extension is used. This is relevant
> when multiple extensions occupy the same extension point in the
> syntax.

(I think a better solution is not occupying the same syntax as
something else is occupying.)

>> The reasons in favor of @profile have been that GRDDL (etc.) uses
>> it already. How does introducing a
>> syntactic transformation that isn't recognized by pre-existing
>> GRDDL (etc.) tools help GRDDL (etc.)?
>
> It doesn't. Existing specs like GRDDL and DC-HTML still will have to
> be updated. But at least now there would be something they *can*
> transition to. Also do not forget that the proposal makes head/
> @profile conformant again, so there can be a transition period.

So what's the win compared to not transitioning from @profile?

It seems to me that if @profile is conceptually bogus, both @profile
and rel=profile are bogus. If @profile isn't conceptually bogus, it
seems useless to transition to a new syntax for it.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi