Re: Fwd: XHTML character entity support

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 14:28:35 +0100, Shelley Powers
<shelley.just@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't believe the XML specification differs when it comes to how
> validating and non-validating parsers handle XML that is not well
> formed.

It does.

> And according to my understanding, the use of an undefined
> entity is not well formed XML.

Indeed.

> Do you have a reference in the XML
> specification that provides support for your contention?

"If the entity is external, and the processor is not attempting to
validate the XML document, the processor MAY, but need not, include the
entity's replacement text. If a non-validating processor does not include
the replacement text, it MUST inform the application that it recognized,
but did not read, the entity."

The point is then reiterated twice:

"Note that non-validating processors are not obligated to read and process
entity declarations occurring in parameter entities or in the external
subset; for such documents, the rule that an entity must be declared is a
well-formedness constraint only if standalone='yes'."

"Certain well-formedness errors, specifically those that require reading
external entities, may fail to be detected by a non-validating processor.
Examples include the constraints entitled Entity Declared, ..."

> I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just saying I can't find anything
> that would back up what you're saying.

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 15:02:04 +0100, Shelley Powers
<shelley.just@gmail.com> wrote:

> Oops, again. Opera does generate an XML parsing failure when it comes
> across an undefined entity when using the XHTML5 doctype.

There is no "XHTML5 doctype". Any or no doctype can be used in XHTML5 and
the spec does not give a preference.

The rule only applies for entities that are declared in the external
subset.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software