Re: Fwd: XHTML character entity support

On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 16:18:59 +0100, John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org> wrote:

> Simon Pieters scripsit:
>> See thread starting at
>> http://www.w3.org/mid/CB173250-44A4-4E98-B723-101BB5673C85@webkit.org
>>
>> Maybe this is something that should be specified in the XML spec so that
>> there is interoperability between XHTML UAs and other XML UAs.
>
> The objections made on that thread to this idea are cogent.  XHTML is
> just one particular XML document type, and once we start to add
> predefined
> entities, where do we stop?

What is being discussed is not adding predefined entities. What is being
discussed is making certain doctypes map to DTDs that contain just entity
declarations (which is what Firefox, WebKit and Opera do today).

> Any documents that contain undeclared character entities just aren't XML.

Such documents aren't relevant to the discussion. The following document
is relevant:

http://hsivonen.iki.fi/test/moz/entity-with-known-dtd.xhtml

> If UAs want to accept non-well-formed XML, they can,

...and still claim to be conforming?

> but I personally
> see no point in XHTML5 unless it actually is XML.

I agree.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software