W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html@w3.org > November 2009

RE: discussion of IRI during W3C TPAC: TImes

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 22:04:24 -0700
To: Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
CC: "'Phillips, Addison'" <addison@amazon.com>, 'Martin J. Dürst' <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, "'Pete Resnick'" <presnick@qualcomm.com>, "'Alexey Melnikov'" <alexey.melnikov@isode.com>, "'Ted Hardie'" <ted.ietf@gmail.com>, "'Erik van der Poel'" <erikv@google.com>, "'Ian Hickson'" <ian@hixie.ch>, "'Michael(tm) Smith'" <mike@w3.org>, "'Leslie Daigle'" <leslie@thinkingcat.com>, "member-i18n-core@w3.org" <member-i18n-core@w3.org>, "'Mark Nottingham'" <mnot@mnot.net>, "michel@suignard.com" <michel@suignard.com>, "noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com" <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>, "'Thomas Roessler'" <tlr@w3.org>, 'Mark Davis ☕' <mark@macchiato.com>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>, "public-i18n-core@w3.org" <public-i18n-core@w3.org>, "tag@w3.org" <tag@w3.org>, "PUBLIC-IRI@W3.ORG" <PUBLIC-IRI@w3.org>
Message-ID: <8B62A039C620904E92F1233570534C9B0118DC70920E@nambx04.corp.adobe.com>
For those in the vicinity of the W3C TPAC, and interested in working on IRI topics,
and willing to meet this coming week, please fill out your availability and interest:

                  http://doodle.com/t8hh5q32nabezb4r


please send email if you haven’t and there are other times you wish to organize
a discussion instead and I can add these to the doodle poll. Note charter:



http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/app/trac/wiki/DraftIriCharter




Note also the IRI BOF in Hiroshima on November 10, 2009

at 3:20PM (GMT+0900) (= Nov 9, 10:20PM PST, Nov 10 7:20 AM CET)

The IRI BOF will likely have streaming audio and

Jabber channel for feedback, see "Internationalized Resource

Identifiers" in http://tools.ietf.org/agenda/76/#TUESDAY


Please notify chair(s) of I18N and/or W3C HTML separately of your interest
in attending those group meetings for this topic, if you haven’t already.

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net


From: Paul Cotton [mailto:Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com]
Sent: Friday, October 30, 2009 2:32 PM
To: Richard Ishida; Larry Masinter; Sam Ruby; Maciej Stachowiak
Cc: 'Phillips, Addison'; 'Martin J. Dürst'; 'Pete Resnick'; 'Alexey Melnikov'; 'Ted Hardie'; 'Erik van der Poel'; 'Ian Hickson'; 'Michael(tm) Smith'; 'Leslie Daigle'; member-i18n-core@w3.org; 'Mark Nottingham'; michel@suignard.com; noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com; 'Thomas Roessler'; 'Mark Davis ☕'
Subject: RE: discussion of IRI during W3C TPAC

> W3C HTML working group: Can we reserve one of the “Unconference” spots in advanced for the IRI issue, please? And invite nonWG members to participate?

I assume this point is aimed at the HTML WG co-chairs.   While I agree that this is a very important topic I think that this appeal needs to be made directly to the WG given the “unconference” meeting format.

But to help non-WG members to participate and to schedule their time I would like to suggest that we tentatively schedule such a session for after lunch on Friday:


>13:30 - 15:00 Breakout Session 10 / Breakout Session 11

/paulc

Paul Cotton, Microsoft Canada
17 Eleanor Drive, Ottawa, Ontario K2E 6A3
Tel: (425) 705-9596 Fax: (425) 936-7329

From: Richard Ishida [mailto:ishida@w3.org]
Sent: Friday, October 30, 2009 5:28 AM
To: 'Larry Masinter'; 'Mark Davis ☕'
Cc: Paul Cotton; 'Phillips, Addison'; 'Martin J. Dürst'; 'Pete Resnick'; 'Alexey Melnikov'; 'Ted Hardie'; 'Erik van der Poel'; 'Ian Hickson'; 'Michael(tm) Smith'; 'Leslie Daigle'; member-i18n-core@w3.org; 'Mark Nottingham'; michel@suignard.com; noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com; 'Thomas Roessler'
Subject: RE: discussion of IRI during W3C TPAC

Thanks for the cat-herding, Larry.

I just wanted to point out that the i18n folks plan to be available for discussions for the whole week, it's just that we have a room booked for Mon/Tues.  I will fit in with whatever Addison arranges.

Cheers,
RI

============
Richard Ishida
Internationalization Lead
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)

http://www.w3.org/International/

http://rishida.net/



From: member-i18n-core-request@w3.org [mailto:member-i18n-core-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Larry Masinter
Sent: 30 October 2009 01:02
To: Mark Davis ☕
Cc: Paul Cotton; Phillips, Addison; Martin J. Dürst; Pete Resnick; Alexey Melnikov; Ted Hardie; Erik van der Poel; Ian Hickson; Michael(tm) Smith; Leslie Daigle (leslie@thinkingcat.com); member-i18n-core@w3.org; Mark Nottingham; michel@suignard.com; noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com; Thomas Roessler
Subject: discussion of IRI during W3C TPAC

I’ve been unsuccessful so far in setting up  a single meeting time during the W3C TPAC week that is suitable for everyone.

The W3C I18N meets Monday & Tuesday.
The W3C HTML working group  is having an “un-conference” style meeting on Thursday & Friday.
There are some folks from IETF & ISOC whose schedule I don’t know but will be at or around TPAC.
Folks from W3C TAG and XML community can meet Thursday at 5:30 PM
Some others who are having meetings of the Unicode consortium and ApacheCon in the general area can meet Thursday but I’m not sure if that’s definite.

The proposal for this work is to have an IRI working group in IETF to coordinate the many (so far I count 8) groups concerned, and the purpose of the preliminary meeting is to discuss and get feedback on this process from all of concerned parties who are in the area but are not going to be in Hiroshima for the IETF meeting the following week.

Rather than juggling the impossible:


 *   W3C I18N working group: Please schedule a definite time to discuss IRI issues and planning, and invite other participants to join in as observers
 *   W3C HTML working group: Can we reserve one of the “Unconference” spots in advanced for the IRI issue, please? And invite nonWG members to participate?
 *   I will set up a meeting time at 5:30 PM on Thursday evening for those who can make it then
 *   If enough people are interested in dinner Thursday night, we can organize a dinner at 7:30 PM
 *   If enough people are interested in a lunch table on Friday, we can organize one of those


To remind everyone the goal: the goal is to align specifications to provide for interoperable protocol elements known as a URL URI IRI such that documents and applications such as web browsers, XML, directory systems, email, instant messaging, newsreaders etc. can freely interchange these protocol elements.  Having ONE spec in ONE venue will help, but the goal is technical interoperability, not just political.

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net


From: mark.edward.davis@gmail.com [mailto:mark.edward.davis@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Mark Davis ?
Sent: Saturday, October 24, 2009 11:49 AM
To: Larry Masinter
Cc: Paul Cotton; Phillips, Addison; Martin J. Dürst; Pete Resnick; Alexey Melnikov; Ted Hardie; Erik van der Poel; Ian Hickson; Michael(tm) Smith; Leslie Daigle (leslie@thinkingcat.com); member-i18n-core@w3.org; Mark Nottingham; michel@suignard.com
Subject: Re: discussion of IRI during I18N meeting at TPAC; also meeting Thursday evening (dinner? drinks?)

Now that I think about it, the timing on Thursday isn't optimal; we will be discussing and making decisions about draft UTS#46 during the UTC meeting, almost certainly before Thursday. So perhaps meeting on an evening earlier in the week, say Monday, would be more productive.

Any comments that people have on the draft ahead of time would also be useful. The draft for public review is at:

http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr46/


 *   Changes from the previous drafts are marked in yellow
 *   Comments can be supplied via the Feedback form referenced in the header, or directly to me and Michel.
 *   We have a working draft for the UTC meeting that already incorporates other feedback received up to now.
Mark
On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 06:54, Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com<mailto:masinter@adobe.com>> wrote:
I think getting everyone in the same room is going to be difficult.

Currently there are multiple specifications in preparation which have different (and often conflicting) advice about what a URL/URI/IRI is and how it should be processed, especially in the area of non-ASCII character handling. There  are multiple (I count 7) committees who have been working independently on various aspects that affect IRIs and URIs: IETF IDNA, EAI, HTTP;  Unicode UTC; W3 HTML, I18N, TAG.

I’ve proposed that the focus of coordination should be updating the IRI and mailto:  URI specs in a way that everyone agrees to, and a working group in IETF to focus this work.  To insure that this goes well, the agreement of the various committees to liaison seems necessary. The purpose of the face-to-face meetings is primarily organizational;  to get each committee to hear and agree that coordination is necessary and they are willing to participate.

Previously, the focus of work on the IRI document was at least nominally the W3C I18N group, so discussing this at the I18N meeting next week seems appropriate, but inviting others to participate in that discussion also seems in order.

It looks like a discussion Thursday evening (dinner? drinks?) would also be in order, if that’s the best time for UTC (Unicode Technical Committee?) participants to join in.

Larry (as cat-herder)
--
http://larry.masinter.net


From: mark.edward.davis@gmail.com<mailto:mark.edward.davis@gmail.com> [mailto:mark.edward.davis@gmail.com<mailto:mark.edward.davis@gmail.com>] On Behalf Of Mark Davis ?
Sent: Friday, October 23, 2009 6:00 PM
To: Larry Masinter
Cc: Paul Cotton; Phillips, Addison; Martin J. Dürst; Pete Resnick; Alexey Melnikov; Ted Hardie; Erik van der Poel; Ian Hickson; Michael(tm) Smith; Leslie Daigle (leslie@thinkingcat.com<mailto:leslie@thinkingcat.com>); member-i18n-core@w3.org<mailto:member-i18n-core@w3.org>
Subject: Re: (rough) notes from IRI meetings 10/13/2009

That is a particularly difficult week, since it is at exactly the same week as the UTC meeting. I'm already ducking out of the UTC to attend the Technical Plenary/Advisory Committee late afternoon on Thursday. Other times would be hard for me and other Unicode folk to attend, unless it were, say, after 6:00pm. If so, Thursday would be the best.

Mark
On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 17:25, Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com<mailto:masinter@adobe.com>> wrote:
What I'd like to do is ask the HTML and I18N chairs for some time during the Monday/Tuesday HTML/I18N joint meeting to discuss the IRI progression in IETF, and invite non-working group members (e.g., visitors from Unicode, IETF and ISOC) to sit in as Observers.

Is that a possibility?

Thanks,

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net



-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Cotton [mailto:Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com<mailto:Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>]
Sent: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 8:20 PM
To: Larry Masinter
Cc: "Martin J. Dürst"; Pete Resnick; Alexey Melnikov; Ted Hardie; Erik van der Poel; Ian Hickson; Mark Davis (markdavis@google.com<mailto:markdavis@google.com>); Michael(tm) Smith; Leslie Daigle (leslie@thinkingcat.com<mailto:leslie@thinkingcat.com>)
Subject: RE: (rough) notes from IRI meetings 10/13/2009

I would recommend a lunch table on Thu or Fri.

/paulc


________________________________________
From: Larry Masinter [masinter@adobe.com<mailto:masinter@adobe.com>]
Sent: October 16, 2009 10:13 PM
To: Larry Masinter
Cc: "Martin J. Dürst"; Pete Resnick; Alexey Melnikov; Ted Hardie; Erik van der Poel; Ian Hickson; Mark Davis (markdavis@google.com<mailto:markdavis@google.com>); Michael(tm) Smith; Paul Cotton; Leslie Daigle (leslie@thinkingcat.com<mailto:leslie@thinkingcat.com>)
Subject: RE: (rough) notes from IRI meetings 10/13/2009

I'm trying to figure out when/how to schedule a meeting at the W3C Technical Plenary meeting in Santa Clara the week before the IRI BOF in Hiroshima. Some W3C participants are willing to work in an IRI working group in IETF but can't be in Hiroshima but  the meeting would be primarily organizational.

I'm afraid while we discussed this and some people did sign up

http://doodle.com/afp2fuek353ynv38   (L D = Leslie Daigle)

I'm not sure what constraints are reasonable. Should we try to set aside a lunch table on Thursday or Friday?  Or meet in the evening or morning? Or a session during the HTML working group meeting at TPAC?

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net



-----Original Message-----
From: public-iri-request@w3.org<mailto:public-iri-request@w3.org> [mailto:public-iri-request@w3.org<mailto:public-iri-request@w3.org>] On Behalf Of Larry Masinter
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 9:32 AM
To: PUBLIC-IRI@W3.ORG<mailto:PUBLIC-IRI@W3.ORG>
Cc: "Martin J. Dürst"; Pete Resnick; Alexey Melnikov; Ted Hardie; Erik van der Poel; Ian Hickson; Mark Davis (markdavis@google.com<mailto:markdavis@google.com>)
Subject: (rough) notes from IRI meetings 10/13/2009

These are notes from two meetings on 10/13/2009 on the
progression of IRI documents and a possible IETF working
group on same. I wanted to get these notes out quickly,
apologies in advance for errors.

a

Received on Sunday, 1 November 2009 05:06:01 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Monday, 29 September 2014 09:39:10 UTC