Re: XHTML character entity support

On 10/31/09 5:32 PM, Alexey Proskuryakov wrote:
> WebKit does not use a validating parser, but it does support XHTML named
> entities. I'm not quite sure about Firefox.

Likewise.  Firefox loads
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/file/4597c9ddc1ff/content/xml/content/src/xhtml11.dtd
(which pretty much just defines the relevant named entities) when it
detects certain doctypes.  See the table at
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/file/4597c9ddc1ff/parser/htmlparser/src/nsExpatDriver.cpp#l287

Firefox can also load external DTDs if they satisfy certain constraints
(e.g. being installed as part of the app itself).  See
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/file/4597c9ddc1ff/parser/htmlparser/src/nsExpatDriver.cpp#l785

The DTD is only really used for ID attribute names and named entities;
no validation is performed.

-Boris