RE: HTML interpreter vs. HTML user agent

On Sun, 31 May 2009, Larry Masinter wrote:

> Not sure I understand -- does web mail have to turn off scripting?

I wish e-mail wouldn't use HTML at all, but that's another story.

I interpreted your question as asking if there was a description of the
"restricted HTML" that Maciej describes, in the spec. Since the
restriction is to disable script, that's what I pointed to.

> Is the only HTML that is suitable for transmission by email to a web
> mail user one that doesn't rely on scripting?

I would presume that Web mail and regular e-mail clients would use the
same kind of e-mail standards. It seems highly unwise to splinter the
e-mail world based on the user agent used.

> How can I email HTML which uses <canvas>, if scripting is turned off for
> web mail users?

It doesn't seem particularly wise to enable scripting in e-mail, but I
suppose if one wanted to, there's no theoretical reason one couldn't do
so, really. For Web mail clients in particular, the sandbox="" feature I
mentioned in my earlier e-mail would be quite well suited to providing
the control that a Web mail provider could want to have.