RE: Design Principles, Section 1.6.1 relationship to HTML 4.01

From: Dailey, David P. <david.dailey@sru.edu>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 22:09:18 -0400
To: "Maciej Stachowiak" <mjs@apple.com>, "Larry Masinter" <masinter@adobe.com>
Cc: "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>, "Leif Halvard Silli" <lhs@malform.no>, "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>
Maciej asks of Larry:
>Can you be specific about which statements you believe are untrue?
>Just a succinct list of specific untrue statements with an explanation
>of why you think they are untrue. I'd want to fix anything that is
>factually inaccurate. Note that publication as a Note is not imminent;
>at least one more Working Draft is planned.

I would submit that the claim that "don't reinvent the wheel" is a good design principle is factually inaccurate.

Our WG's mail archives reveal numerous examples of historic instances where reinventing the wheel proved to be good technology policy ([1], as a cursory example with some pointers to others). Non-euclidean geometry comes to mind right now.

I have yet to see materialize the claimed benefits that these design principles bring to our discussion. I have, on the other hand,  seen clear evidence of what I see, as their misuse. It is that misuse for which I asked for consideraby stronger disclaimers on several occasions. Remember the mad ant [2]!

cheers
David

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007May/0160.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Apr/0679.html