Re: Content sniffing, feed readers, etc. (was HTML interpreter vs. HTML user agent)

From: Rob Sayre <rsayre@mozilla.com>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 15:35:41 -0700
To: Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com>
CC: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
On 5/30/09 1:46 PM, Adam Barth wrote:
> On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 10:09 AM, Larry Masinter<masinter@adobe.com>  wrote:
>
>> Is this an "Informational" document ("Please be aware there are
>> misconfigured HTTP servers and here's some good ideas how to
>> deal with them") or does it have normative requirements?
>>

> My opinion is that the document should say the following:
>
> 1) User agents SHOULD NOT sniff.
> 2) If a user agent does sniff, then the user agent MUST use the
> following sniffing algorithm.

I think the document should say something like "This algorithm is what
browsers are converging on. If you want to match them, you MUST use this
algorithm."

That is informational.

- Rob