Re: HTML interpreter vs. HTML user agent

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Fri, 29 May 2009, Sam Ruby wrote:
>> As to whether or not everybody will accept that the rules written in
>> HTML5 apply to everybody, I submit the following as a test case:
>>
>> http://status.aws.amazon.com/rss/EC2API.rss
>>
>> Heck, it is not clear to me that *browsers* will accept that that
>> particular rule applies to them.
>
> Could you elaborate on how this doesn't work with the rules in HTML5? (Or
> rather, with the rules in Adam's ID?)

That resource is served with a text/plain mime type, and therefore
should not be treated as a feed.

At the present time, both IE8 and Firefox treat that document as a feed.
My assessment is that Firefox will continue to follow IE's lead in this
area, but I will gladly defer to those who actually work on the product.

Independent of how that is resolved, and despite the fact that the HTML
5 documented approach has been adopted by the likes of SimplePie, it is
not my expectation that feedreaders will follow the HTML5 spec's
guidance on this and they get observably better (as in less false
negatives) results by ignoring the MIME type.  In particular, Google
Reader is an example of a feedreader which will happily allow you to add
this page as a subscription.

- Sam Ruby