Re: Auto-detect and encodings in HTML5

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 02:43:34 -0400
To: Jonathan Rosenne <rosennej@qsm.co.il>
Cc: "'Phillips, Addison'" <addison@amazon.com>, 'Travis Leithead' <Travis.Leithead@microsoft.com>, public-html@w3.org, www-international@w3.org, 'Richard Ishida' <ishida@w3.org>, 'Ian Hickson' <ian@hixie.ch>, 'Chris Wilson' <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>, 'Harley Rosnow' <Harley.Rosnow@microsoft.com>, Yair Shmuel <yshmuel@microsoft.com>
Jonathan Rosenne scripsit:

> EBCDIC and its national language variants, including visual encoding
> of bidi languages, are in use and will continue to be in use as long as
> mainframes are in use. A large quantity of data is stored in mainframes
> in EBCDIC and its variants, and the easiest way of interfacing this
> data to an HTML UI is by using the encoding features of HTML.

It certainly would be simple, but is anyone actually doing this?
I suspect that most mainframe-backed Web servers are actually translating
to ASCII-compatible formats, not sending out EBCDIC HTML.

--
How they ever reached any  conclusion at all    <cowan@ccil.org>
is starkly unknowable to the human mind.        http://www.ccil.org/~cowan