Re: "Outline" algorithm (document length and complexity)

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 20:24:15 +0000 (UTC)
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
On Tue, 26 May 2009, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> On May 26, 2009, at 11:24 AM, Larry Masinter wrote:
> >
> > Yes, that would be a bad editorial decision. The question is why
> > "outline" is part of the vocabulary. What features of HTML use the
> > "outline" function?
>
> [...] I think a typical UA would not make use of these semantics
> directly.

A typical browser wouldn't, but many tools would. For example, th HTML5
spc itself has a table of contents which is generated using an
implementation of this very algorithm.

> To turn the outline algorithm into something that can produce testable
> assertions, it would have to be exposed in some way, either as a DOM
> interface or by affecting the rendering. If that were done, we could
> better evaluate it. But I would question the value of a DOM API to
> expose the outline.

I don't think Web browsers should implement this; this would be something
that would be implemented (indeed, has already been implemented) in tools
to aid authors. One could imagine editors exposing the outline explicitly,
like word processors do.

> From all this I conclude that the current outline section is not a
> useful piece of spec. It does not currently imply any testable
> assertions for implementations, and if it did, it would be exceedingly
> difficult to write and validate a practical implementation.

This seems a very browser-specific outlook. :-)

Incidentally, I do think that section would benefit from being phrased in
a clearer way. I've already tried to improve it once, with only limited
success. If anyone can think of a way to better describe this part of the
spec I would be very happy to update it accordingly.