RE: "Outline" algorithm (document length and complexity)

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 11:24:12 -0700
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
> I think it would be illogical to have the definition
> of the vocabulary in a different document than the
> vocabulary itself.

Yes, that would be a bad editorial decision. The question is
why "outline" is part of the vocabulary. What features of
HTML use the "outline" function?

If some other application or feature requires an "outline"
feature in HTML, what are their requirements? Are they all
the same? How can we judge whether the algorithm specified
meets the requirements for an outline function if the
requirements are not stated and cannot be derived from the
rest of the spec?

If the only uses of "outline" are CSS or external "outline"
processors, is an HTML interpreter which doesn't support any
of those still required to implement the "outline" algorithm
specified? Why?

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net