Re: Design Principles

From: Kornel <kornel@geekhood.net>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 15:06:10 +0100
Cc: public-html@w3.org
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
On 26 May 2009, at 12:18, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

>> 2.4. Pave the Cowpaths
>>     = this to me also supports building on existing profile related
>> authoring practises such as microformats. Or is it only those
>> microformatters that do /not/ use @profile that represent a cowpath?
>
> While microformats claim to need a profile attribute in practice
> they do not use it I believe for consuming etc.

Indeed. When developing hCard validator (conformance checker) I've
noticed that few pages use profile attribute, and there are no hCard
processors that use it, so I haven't made that a requirement. I'm even
tempted to remove all warnings about it.

I've also found pages that use wrong profile  most often XFN. As far
as I understand that would mean that hCards should not be processed on
such page, and profile support in that case would be harmful.

I haven't implemented "proper" XMDP support. The goal of these
profiles is unclear to me, because AFAIK they're not namespace URIs,
but were supposed to be some kind of DTDs. However amount of machine-
readable information in XMDP is miniscule (list of names only) and
practically useless for Microformats parsing.

--
regards, Kornel