Re: XMLLiteral handling in RDFa in HTML

From: Toby A Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 09:50:22 +0100
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
On 26 May 2009, at 08:14, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> In a reasonable layering, the RDFa processor is layered on top of
> an HTML parser, in which case the RDFa parser can't in the general
> case tell if the input would have been well-formed if processed as
> XML. It seems like a bad idea to define RDFa processing in terms of
> the source bytes instead of defining it in terms of the output of
> the HTML parsing algorithm.

Indeed. That is a good argument in favour of solution #3 from my

Most current RDFa parsers do seem to sit on top of a separate (X)(HT)
ML parser, just looking at a DOM tree which can be fairly reliably
serialised to XML, so this solution probably has the smallest
implementation cost for them. The exception is XSLT-based
implementations; but, given that XSLT processors can't operate on
HTML by definition, this seems to be a moot point.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail@tobyinkster.co.uk>