Re: Design Principles

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 04:38:11 +0000 (UTC)
To: Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>
Cc: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
On Tue, 26 May 2009, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:

> Another quote from the same page: "imperative that HTML be extended in a
> backwards-compatible way".
>
> So HTML 4 is winning. And HTML 5 has to be backwards-compatible.
>
> It really sounds from this as if it is very important to be compatible
> with HTML 4.

No, being backwards compatible with the HTML4 spec is worthless. It's
being backwards compatible with legacy content and implementations that
matters (and that has been a cornerstone of the HTML5 effort).

> It really sounds as if mentioning HTML 4 should have had close to high
> weight. (Except that the air we are breathing is called HTML 4 so we
> really should have something more unobvious to say.)
>
> Perhaps you really meant that the DOM is winning? That "text/html" is
> winning? However, that sounded so boring ...

Not sure what you mean. I meant that HTML has a high deployment rate today
(in terms of user agents and content) compared to Flash and Silverlight,
and that the HTML5 work is intended to continue this trend.