Re: Design Principles

From: Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 04:23:45 +0200
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
Ian Hickson On 09-05-26 00.19:
> On Mon, 25 May 2009, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>
>> Because, as I said, it is isn't useful to convince me about anything
>> that you tell me that you have looked at it from scratch. The "from
>> scratch" principle would in itself need to be defined, btw.
>>

> We didn't start from scratch because of a design principle, we started
> from scratch because we had no other practical choice. HTML4 is woefully
> inadequate as a specification and it was simply easier to ignore it.

Except for the thing that "from scratch" is only a theory about your own
work:  It was easier to ignore it. So you had a choice. You did not have
to ignore it. I agree with that. Now the HTML 5 work is part of the
organisation that defined HTML 4, and which thus do not ignore it.

Steven Pemberton: «HTML 4.01: The basis of all our work, a corrected
version of HTML 4.» [1]

[1] http://homepages.cwi.nl/~steven/
--
leif halvard silli