Re: Design Principles (from scratch)

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 16:03:36 -0700
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Cc: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 3:22 PM, Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com> wrote:
> The W3C HTML working group is currently chartered:
>
>    http://www.w3.org/2007/03/HTML-WG-charter.html
>
> to produce one thing:
>
>  A language evolved from HTML4 for describing the semantics of
>   documents and applications on the World Wide Web.
>
> I'm not sure how "from scratch" fits into this, as a basis
> for any document in W3C, especially a "Design Principles"
> document which purports to explain how the HTML4 language
> "evolved" into the current specification.

Personally I think the whole discussion about if HTML5 started from
scratch or started from HTML4 is a red herring. The only point where
I've heard the issue come up is in regards to if some features, like
@summary and @profile, were "removed" or if they were "not added".
Which seems like a to-may-to/to-mah-to discussion to me.

Can anybody show where it makes a difference how we arrived at the
current HTML5 draft from hixie?

/ Jonas