Re: Design Principles

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 19:59:53 +0200
To: "Leif Halvard Silli" <lhs@malform.no>
Cc: "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>
On Mon, 25 May 2009 19:48:05 +0200, Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>
> Because, as I said, it is isn't useful to convince me about anything
> that you tell me that you have looked at it from scratch. The "from
> scratch" principle would in itself need to be defined, btw.

I don't really see how it's a principle and I'm not sure why you need to
be convinced about it.

>> There's some disagreement over a few HTML4 features. By and large I
>> think the group is in agreement over the other features. I haven't seen
>> anything to the contrary anyway.
> Whether one can use @xmlns might be described as "one of few features",
> of course ...

xmlns is not an HTML4 feature. There's certainly more disputes than just
those that have some relation to HTML4.

>> The design principles do not really appear to help in these
>> discussions, but I think in the latest iterations they have not really
>> been used as verbatim either so they're not a huge problem either.
> I think the design principles should help us make decisions. If they
> don't they have failed.

The goal was mostly to explain the design rationale to date. They're
certainly not meant as rigid rules.

>> It certainly requires you to do something (figuring out what authors
>> do), but that seems a vastly different thing from how the specification
>> is being edited.
> It seems a bit pointless to discuss principles if it is only up to one
> person to follow them, IMHO.

I'm not sure what you're saying here.

> And if the failing to agree on principles represents a danger by setting
> a precedence that we are unable to agree about anything, then the same
> can be said about how the editor operates.

I still don't see how that makes them principles.

And yeah, getting a large enough group to agree on anything is hard.
Fortunately the decision policy this WG is using takes that into account.

Anne van Kesteren