Re: Design Principles

On May 25, 2009, at 5:29 AM, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:

> Anne van Kesteren On 09-05-24 22.37:
>> On Sun, 24 May 2009 21:22:14 +0200, Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com
>> > wrote:
>>> Are you asking me to critique the HTML document against
>>> these design prinicples, the design principles themselves,
>>> or something else?
>>
>> You keep alluding to problems with the design principles, but you
>> never actually state them. Making the issues more explicit is what
>> I am asking for.
>
> Are you alluding to problems with understanding Larry?
>
> No one will subscribe to reasonable principles if, in reality, they
> are (honestly, of course)  interpreted to legitimize things that one
> are opposed to, disagree with and, in fact, not found in the
> principles. I think Larry (and Dan also, if I understood the IRC log
> of the telcon correctly) has pointed to a problem with the /
> interpretation/ of the principles. "Pave the cow paths" has been
> interpreted to say "do not pave anything that perhaps isn't a cow
> path".

Can you cite an example of anyone making that kind of argument and
citing the "Pave the Cowpaths" principle? The text says: "When a
practice is already widespread among authors, consider adopting it
rather than forbidding it or inventing something new." I can't see how
it would ever justify *not* supporting something. In fact, the only
time I recall hearing this kind of argument is from those who think
the principle is a bad one, and who claimed others were incorrectly
applying it in this way. It seems uncontroversial as actually stated.

Regards,
Maciej