Re: RDFa in HTML issues wiki page created

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 14:10:01 +0200
To: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Manu Sporny wrote:
>> So, what's the registration procedure for
>> <http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml/vocab/> -- and who's going to maintain it
>> once the WG ceases to exist?
>
> Which WG? Currently, the registration procedure for HTML4 is a done deal
> (not more LinkTypes for HTML4). For XHTML1.1 and XHTML2, the LinkTypes
> are defined in the language document. For HTML5, they're in a wiki.

"Done deal" -- that doesn't work for me. People use new link relations
all over the place, be it in XHTML1.* or HTML4, but they aren't registered.

That may be because there's no way to register them. So claiming
extensions aren't possible isn't helpful, when reality proves they are
possible.

> The W3C has typically maintained these documents in the past, and I
> don't see any reason why that would change. Even if we have a LinkType
> registry, I would expect the W3C to manage that.

It didn't since HTML4 was published, so what does make you think it'll
work better in the future?

>> What we need is a format-neutral registry (I want to be able to express
>> link relations from non *HTML documents as well), and a registry that
>> works in practice.
>
> I'm not particularly opposed to that idea - although, I know others that
> are opposed to the notion of a centralized LinkType registry.
>
> Julian, could you please add the issue to the wiki so that we may track
> how the discussion progresses?

Done.

BR, Julian